06 April 2012

A Fruitful Friday

On this particularly productive day, my oven produced a beautiful batch of banana-berry buckwheat muffins (recipe below), off my stove came many stacks of wee little spinach, cumin and green pea pancakes (adapted from this recipe- used aforementioned veggies and buckwheat flour instead of spelt), and our conservatory went from being a scummy ant hill to a squeaky-clean, sunshiny reading nook. The ants bring in loads of sand and stash it in the corners. I ignored it until I couldn't anymore; today was that day.

If you post your email in the comments, I'll send the first 10 people a 20% off coupon for Romwe (flash back to my pretty peter pan dress- you guessed it, Romwe). They're doing a new friend campaign, and every time someone from my list uses the coupon, I get $5 off. And I. Need. New. Shoes. Although this dress is delicious, too. I'm not sure what the deadline is, so hurry!


Fijn avond! 


xxx,
j


p.s. As of this instant, my blog has been up for one month; my 24 posts have racked up 2,305 page views. I was hoping for 500. Thank you, thank you!!


Berry Banana Buckwheat Muffins with Ginger Streusel
(adapted from The Healthy Foodie)
(yelds 18 muffins)

  • 3/4 cup spelt flour
  • 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup buckwheat groats
  • 1/4 cup black chia seeds
  • 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 4 egg whites
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 bananas, mashed
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1 cup blackberries
  • 1/2 cup ginger streusel, recipe HERE
  • 2 bananas, thinly sliced

  1. Preheat your oven to 375F/190C and line your muffin pan with parchment paper cups.
  2. In a large bowl combine flours, salt, buckwheat groats, chia, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, and nutmeg. Set aside.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk buttermilk, eggs, mashed banana, and vanilla. Once incorporated, sift in the dry ingredients. Stir until combined before adding in berries.
  4. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp streusel over each muffin, and lay 3 slices of banana on top of the streusel.
  5. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  6. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.