Happy April Fools' Day! No pranks here, just some good eats.
I took these cookies to a lunch with friends on Friday; they were an instant hit. The texture turned out just right- chewy and a little grainy from the coarse cane sugar. The espresso evens out the sweetness perfectly, and the freshly grated cinnamon adds an unexpected bite. I always use Tony's Chocolonely bars (dark, of course) for baking- they're just the right level of cacao.
The weather allowed for some long overdue garden cleanup, and chores are always more fun with a camera. Have a good week, fancy folks!
Caffeinated and Cinnamon-Dusted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat or AP flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1 shot espresso (or poor man's espresso: 3 Tbsp instant coffee granules dissolved in 1 oz boiling water)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup raw cane sugar
- 2 Tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 tsp freshly grated cinnamon, plus more for dusting
- 1/8 cup creme fraiche
- 1 egg + 1 yolk, beaten
- 1 cup best-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- Sift together first four ingredients into medium bowl.
- Mix butter, espresso, both sugars, vanilla bean paste, cinnamon, creme fraiche, and eggs until thoroughly blended.
- Fold in chocolate, then spoon teaspoon-sized balls 1 inch apart onto a baking sheet. Dust with freshly grated cinnamon.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes at 350F/150C(fan)/175C(no fan) until golden.