My cousin flew in this morning from Chicago! We celebrated tonight with a flourless chocolate cake. It was a raving success- rich, dense, and cheesecake-moist (recipe below).
We're off to Amsterdam in the morning, and my circadian rhythm (and the heaping piles of unfolded laundry) could use some loving attention.
Completely Flourless, Deeply Chocolatey Cake with Cloud-Light Ginger Whipped Cream
wildly adapted from The Cottage Homestead
- 1/2 c water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c dark chocolate chunks
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 c whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Butter or line with parchment one 9-inch springform pan.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the water, salt, and brown sugar. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
- In the microwave melt chocolate chips in 30 second increments, and stir until melted.
- Beat eggs until mixed and foamy, 2-4 minutes.
- Cut the butter into pieces and beat the butter into the chocolate in your mixer. Slowly add the hot sugar-water, and fold in the eggs. Add the vanilla until well blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake cake in the water bath at 300 degrees F for 45 minutes. The center will still look wet. Chill cake for 1 hour in the freezer.
- Immediately before serving, cut out a heart from a piece of paper, lay on cake, and sift powdered sugar where the cake meets the heart's outer line. Remove paper carefully, making sure no sugar falls off the paper.
- Serve with cream whipped with powdered sugar and ginger until soft peaks form.