09 March 2012

Decadently blue, perfectly done

I was in the mood for something sweet and warm and good with coffee, so I baked a batch of French Breakfast Muffins. They're simple and perfect for a rainy day. I usually opt for healthy ingredients and substitutions (i.e. agave nectar, coconut oil, whole wheat flour, cut the sugar in half, etc.), but I was having a craving for the other kind of baking.   

Normally I would use King Arthur's white whole wheat flour as the recipe calls for, but I can't find it in the NL. It's invaluable in a baker's kitchen and better for you without giving baked things that heavy, whole wheat taste. The flour here is weird. I definitely miss my gazillion options in the supermarket baking aisle.

French Breakfast Muffins, adapted from Ann at Velvet Lava
Ingredients
  • 1/3 c. butter, melted
  • 1/2 c. raw sugar
  • 1 egg (preferably room temperature) 
  • 1 cup pastry flour
  • 1/2 c. white whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp cardamom
  • 1/2 c. buttermilk 

Topping
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1/4 c. butter, melted 
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon 
  • 1/4 tsp cardamom

Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium-large bowl, sift together all dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir until combined, but still a bit lumpy. Don't over-mix. Scoop batter into muffin tins that have been prepared with paper liners. Bake for 20-25 muffins, or until they just start to turn a bit golden at the edges. 

For the topping, mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Place melted butter in another small bowl. 

Dip the tops of the warm muffins in melted butter, then in the sugar mix. 
_______________

I've been really loving black and white accents lately, and I've also been looking for a pair of leg warmers to have an excuse to wear shorts this early in the year; it was a double win (!) when I stopped in at H&M after a little fun with my camera class buddies in the city centre and found these cozy striped things. 


Enjoy your weekend!
xxx,
j


sweater, shorts, belt, & leg warmers | H&M
bodysuit | ModCloth
shoes | OTBT