Recently, I happened upon the prodigious Heidi Swanson, author of 101 Cookbooks, a blog dedicated to all eats exquisite, vegetarian, and healthy. Her recipe count nearly grazes 2,000. The first three I looked at I added to my MAKE IMMEDIATELY folder on my desktop. I think I just found a solution to my restraining order-worthy addiction to Smitten Kitchen.
The first recipe I tested was her Coconut Corn Salad; we ate it up before I could get my lens cap off. Trust me, it's fantastic. The second was my take on a Parmesan Celery Salad; I served it next to spaghetti over the weekend. Crunchy and thoughtfully simple, it will certainly make more appearances on our dinner table.
Parmesan, Celery, and Chickpea Salad
- 8 large celery stalks, diced into small cubes
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups canned chickpeas/garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 4 Tbsp grated Parmesan
- 4 Tbsp dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, deeply toasted
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- coarsely-ground black pepper
- Whisk together the white wine vinegar, lemon juice, coriander, garlic, and olive oil until emulsified. (Hint: it helps to tilt the bowl while whisking.) Toss with celery, chickpeas, and Parmesan until well-mixed. Fold in cranberries and pine nuts.
- Salt and pepper to taste.